Google Earth Model
"This is the Shoppach House in Benton, Arkansas. This house was built in 1853 by John F. Shoppach in what were the outskirts of town on Old Military Road and is the oldest currently standing building in Benton. The house has four main rooms including two symmetrical bedrooms on each side of the dog-trot breezeway that runs through the middle of the house. None of the walls contain studs and each is only the thickness of a single board. In April of 1861 the building served as the site for the presentation of a battle flag to Saline County’s Company E of the 1st Arkansas Infantry, Confederate States of America. The flag was made by the women of Benton and along with Company E saw action in such battles as Murfreesboro and Chickamauga. In 1863, Union troops occupied Benton. The union officers made the house their official quarters, while the troops were quartered in a fort constructed across the road on what is now the southeast corner of Carpenter and Military roads."